How to mapscript a box or two...

Doug Nebert ddnebert at usgs.gov
Wed Apr 19 17:45:05 EDT 2000

For our new Clearinghouse Search gateway (to help people locate
geospatial data in approx 200 servers!) we would like to link in the map
server to help the user locate their area of interest and also to then
show the results that were found "on the map".

So the problem at hand is:

I have a basemap (lat-long coords) and I have a number of returned
rectangle values in N W S E format, one rectangle per data set being
flagged. I would like to first define the bounds of the map to be drawn
just a bit larger than the sum total extents of the rectangles, then to
draw on that basemap several rectangles (each rectangle a different
color) one for each data set represented. In effect, if I want to
visualize where the current hit list of ten datasets lies, I would have
an orientation map with n colored rectangles on it.

I sense that mapscript would allow one to do this but don't know where
to start. Can someone provide sample code for me to start with?

Doug.