Using geographic data in the southern hemisphere

Tim and Marcelle Sutton tim at activeweb.co.za
Tue Aug 1 03:17:01 EDT 2000

Hi

I am trying to get a simple test site going using two layers of geographic
data. I generated the Map file using the arcview tool I found on the utilities
page (this is a great tool).

I know the php_mapserver.so works fine (thanks to Daniel).

The data is in the southern hemisphere (ie. north/south coordinates are negative
numbers in decimal degrees).

The initial .map file had know projection section set, and the maps would
generate,  but the map image would always come up blank. I have set the display
and scale bar units to decimal degrees (dd) and kilometers respectively. The
scale bar indicates that the display is zoomed in to a really large scale.

I have the proj4.4.4.1 rpm installed on the server (running redhat 6.1) and
when I added the

Projection
	"Geographic"
End

to my .map file, my web page prints out the following:

Warning: MapServer Error in loadProjection(): Projection support is not
available. in /home/httpd/html/Mapserver/cnc/cncmap.php3 on line 34

Fatal error: Failed to open map file cnc.map in /home/httpd/html/Mapserver/cnc/cncmap.php3 on line 34

So my questions are:

1) Does mapserver support southern hemispher geographic data?
2) Do I have the correct settings in my .map file (listed below this message)?
3) How can I get mapserver to recognise the proj library?
4) Could anyone send me /point me to some sample .php files which demonstrate a
functional mapserver user inteface (implimenting query, zoom, pan etc)?

 Many thanks for any help you
may be able to offer.

--

-------------------------------------
Tim Sutton
tim at activeweb.co.za
ICQ: 6712273

Did you hear that there's a group of South American Indians that worship
the number zero?

Is nothing sacred?
-------------------------------------
#
# Start of map file - created Sat Jul 29 00:52:34 2000
#
NAME cnc.map
SIZE 550 370
EXTENT 17.434 -35.054 24.546 -30.210