CLASS EXPRESSION using NOT or NE

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Aug 24 11:41:02 EDT 2000

You need to make sure all vars that need to be considered as strings
are quoted if they contain special characters. So try:

  EXPRESSION ('[DESCRIPTIO]' ne 'Virtual Line')

Yes, this could be done automatically but often users will store numbers
as strings or want to reference numbers as strings so I've opted for
flexibility.

Note that CLASSITEM is not necessary when using logical expressions
although I plan to add an optimization that will use it in the future.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Larry Nolan" <lrn at zeppo.geosurv.gov.nf.ca> 08/24/00 09:06AM >>>
Hi,
    I have a shape file with up to 20 possible feature codes and there is
only 1 that I don't want displayed. I am trying to use the CLASS Expression
functions but with out any luck.
   What I am trying to use is NE operator. Does one exist.

    CLASSITEM DESCRIPTIO
      CLASS
      EXPRESSION ([DESCRIPTIO] ne 'Virtual Line')
      SYMBOL 0
      OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 255
     COLOR  0 0 255
   END # CLASS