MapServer Performance

Paul G. Allen pgallen at randomlogic.com
Wed Dec 6 12:03:43 EST 2000

Well, the only number I can give is how fast a map and web page can be
supplied by my 433MHz Alpha system. Running a Perl CGI that creates
the web page (a set of three frames) and using MapScript, a page can
be delivered showing roads and freeways with labels; colored city
areas and labels; street addresses; utility lines; key locations (i.e.
The San Diego Zoo); dynamically plotted data extracted from a database
using Perl; rivers, lakes, streams, and other bodies of water with
labels; and schools in under a minute. YMMV depending upon available
Internet connection bandwidth, number of requests, OS type (I run Red
Hat Linux 6.0 with Apache 1.3.12), etc., but I think that's pretty
good considering how much work the machine has to do outside of just
rendering the map.

Almost forgot, my Alpha only has 64MB of SDRAM and no external cache.

PGA

Thorsten Fischer wrote:

> Ladies and gentlemen,
>
> Our company is about to install MapServer for a german internet job searching
> engine. But there are several questions left before the installation is to be
> made. One of them is the question about the performance of MapServer.
>
> Of course I know that numbers such as 'hits handled per second' highly depend on
> the hardware used as well as the task that is to be fulfilled by the system. I
> would appreciate any numbers that the users on this mailing list are able to
> share with me.
>
> Besides: your server is great ;-)
>
> Thorsten Fischer          thfischer at mapmedia.de

> MapMedia - Kartographie und raumbezogene Informationssysteme
> Am Borsigturm 42
> 13507 Berlin
> Deutschland
> http://www.mapmedia.de tel: +49 (0)30 43032102

Paul G. Allen
Unix System Administrator II
Akamai Technologies, Inc.
(www.akamai.com)
(858)909-3630 Office
(858)395-5043 Cell

I am Paul G. Allen, and I don't do Windows!