labels overlapping points

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Dec 7 18:13:16 EST 2000

This is the way it's supposed to work. The theory is that with point data
it the points that are important and labels should not obscure them. The
points themselves can overlap. The other reason for this behavior that
if labels can overlap the points then it's damn near impossible to associate
a point with a label (visually that is). Normally with things like this I use
ANNOTATION layers so that the marker and label are given equal weight.
By sorting on population or something (most important features at the
tail end of the shapefile) you can ensure that London shows up before
Lower Slaughter.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Keith Sibson <ksibson at matrix.net> 12/07/00 03:42PM >>>

Hi,

I'm using a map of the world with several mutually exclusive layer sets at
different zoom levels that represent different levels of detail. Anyway,
when zooming in, I increase the size of POINT symbols (circles) that
represent cities so that at the maximum zoom, city features are quite
large (20-30 pixels). At the highest levels of zoom there is also the most
amount of clutter on the screen - lots of labelled feature points. What
happens is that labels are not rendered if they interfere with the city
points, even if I FORCE them.

Is this the implemented behavior wrt symbols or am I doing something
wrong?

If it's implemented this way, then one workaround might be to create a
polygon shapefile for cities rather than use symbols. Would this work?

Thanks,

Keith.