Running application via remote web hosting

mark.wilson at rohoel.at mark.wilson at rohoel.at
Mon Dec 11 03:33:42 EST 2000

Nyon,

Yes, you should be able to set up mapserver to run via a third party web hosting
service. I have managed to do this using using two different web hosting
services. However, you may have to make modifications to the install scripts,
because you probably won't have access to some of the files (depending on what
environment you are installing into) in their "normal" locations.

You will need full cgi-bin access etc. If you are looking for a provider, and
have any doubts, try to find one with a 30 day "money-back" trial period. That
way, you can always opt out if you find you can't get what you need from them
(in terms of privileges and support).

The only thing I did _not_ manage to do was to successfully set up php mapscript
(so I have been learning perl!). The php mapscript installation requires the php
source, which was no longer available on the host provider's webservers.
Although in theory it should have been possible to get the php source and
complete the installation of php mapscript, I still had problems going down this
route. Perhaps you will have more luck.

Mark W.

ycnyon <ycnyon at pd.jaring.my> on 10.12.2000 14:32:11

cc:   mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu (bcc: Mark H Wilson/RAG/AT)

Subject:  Running application via remote web hosting

Hi,

Is it possible to run a mapserver application using external web hosting
which
can provide support for cgi, php and mysql ? Are there any thing else
that needs to
be look into for this purpose.

Regards
Nyon