mapserv Win32 DLLs / ActiveX / COM

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Dec 19 15:09:18 EST 2000

Chris (and list subscribers),

  I've made Windows DLLs for the MapServer-related
libraries you've listed.

And I've made a couple of attempts at getting a Perl
version of MapScript built but was unsuccessful.  See the
included text below for some details (it's an email I sent
to the list on June 13, 2000).

The short story is I was able to build a mapscript.dll, but
ActivePerl would not load it.  My current theory there are
some function interfacing issues.  The answer may be
to "Swig" mapscript on NT to see if the generated code
is any different then the code generated on Unix (and
packaged with the rest of the MapServer source).  Haven't
got around to that yet...

As for the ActiveX/COM question, I had written a rudimentary
ActiveX layer to MapServer (before MapScript came out).
It worked ok, but was lacking features, mostly related to
dealing with layers as a collection.  I put the work on hold
until I had a chance to examine Steve's MapScript object
model and haven't returned to it.  Too bad Swig doesn't
produce ActiveX wrappers...

Brent Fraser
bfraser at geoanalytic.com
GeoAnalytic Inc.
#300 , 700 - 4th Avenue SW Calgary, AB
Canada T2P 3J4
Tel:  (403)213-2700 Fax:  (403)213-2707
www.geoanalytic.com

======================================
Steve (and list subscribers),

    I'm using the makefile created by using the
command "perl makefile.pl" (I'm using ActivePerl,
on NT 4.0.  I then  do an "nmake" at the command
line.

 I removed the "-nodefaultlib" from the makefile
(what a hacker), and now it will compile to a DLL
using "nmake". I then did a "nmake install" and it
seemed to work (it copied files into the ActivePerl
directory and updated some other files).

  I tried the dump.pl perl script in the mapscript
examples directory, and got the following error:

Error: Parse Exception

When I use perl interactively, and type in the first
line of the dump.pl script "use mapscript;" I get
the same error as above.  So likely some perl file
has not been updated properly so it will recognize
the mapscript package.

Any perl experts out there..?

Brent Fraser