MapServer and geocoding

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Feb 23 23:41:18 EST 2000

Nope, no geocoder. It's as much a data problem as a software problem. It probably isn't that hard to write one if you really understand the process. However, you need a decent set of databases to match against and that ain't cheap. About the only freebie dataset I know of is Tiger. others on the list can speak to its suitability.

If you can kick out a coordinate then the app can be integrated with mapserver. A OpenSource geocoder based on free data would be very cool indeed.

Steve

<<< Daniel Morissette <danmo at videotron.ca>  2/23  3:56p >>>
MapServer users,

Has anyone ever used the MapServer for an application that needed to do
geocoding (address matching) on the fly.  I don't think that MapServer
has any direct support for geocoding, does it?

Does anyone have recommendations for a library or package (OpenSource or
commercial) that would complement well MapServer and allow an
application to do geocoding on the fly (ideally something that runs on
Solaris).

Thanks,
 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca
              http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/