connecting to SDO

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Jan 14 17:48:53 EST 2000

I take it the answer is no, and you didn't hear from anyone. I suppose you
could build features using MapScript and perl to talk to Oracle. I'm not sure how
easy it is to extract coordinates via Oracle Spatial or SDE. If you really wanted
to rely heavily on database-based data you'd see much better performance
using their native APIs and C. When I moved from 3.2 to 3.3 I made it much
easier to add alternative formats/access methods than before, so with
knowledge of the Oracle API it might be pretty easy to write a mapserver
client piece. That way you could integrate local shapefiles, raster images and
remote datasets. If you'd like to work on something like this I'd be interested
in it as well. I can certainly describe the environment the client would have to
work within...

Yet another option would be to use OGDI technology to write a general mapserver
client that could talk to many, many clients rather than focusing on just one. See
http://www.ogdi.org/ for more info. Only problem is that the OGDI servers cost
$'s on top of Oracle etc. Performance may also be less than stellar.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Grzegorz Myrda" <mapadm at polsl.gliwice.pl> 01/08/00 06:10AM >>>
Hi,

Has anyone any experience in using Mapserv as client for Oracle
SDO ?
Is this only:-) Perl script, which makes on-line features through for
example Oracle Web Server Plugin ?
What about creating in this way not only some top features (with
main map from local shapefile), but the whole map which
sometimes can cover a big number of features.
Are there any alternatives to do it in any other ways ?

Grzegorz