Formatting Text for Feature Labelling

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jul 6 17:25:25 EDT 2000

Nope, hasn't been done. Best place to implement would be as an expression
function (i.e. TEXT (firstcap([NAME))) or something like that. mapparser.y is
the place to start. O'Reilly has a good book on lex and yacc that details how
to add functions to a yacc grammar. Of course, this is expensive to do each
time you make a map so changing the data would yield the best performance.
The arcview method mentioned previously works well as would a simple
perl script.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Sean O'Hagan" <seano at metavera.com> 07/06/00 12:35PM >>>
Hello list,

Has anyone messed around with the appropriate Mapserver code to allow
first-letter capitalization for feature labelling? I thought about updating
the DBF file, but if it's been done within Mapserver already I'd rather take
advantage of that.

Thanks,
Sean O'Hagan

Metavera Solutions, Inc.