Large data sets

Scott Phillips sphillip at mail.esrp.org
Thu Jul 13 15:59:01 EDT 2000

Hello Jose,

The map file documentation has a little information on using tiles for
shapefiles, but it doesn't mention that you can do the same thing for
tiles of raster data.  I tried it with a set of scanned topographic maps
(about 500 maps) and it worked fine.

What I did was set up an index shapefile of the map tiles.  I added a
field to this shape file called "LOCATION".  In that field, I put the
full path to the image tile, such as: "/data/gis/data/drg/files/o37121h8.tif"

In my map file, I added this entry:

layer
  name "drg"
  type raster
  status on
  offsite 2
  tileindex /data/gis/data/drg/tiles
  maxscale 24000
end

If you have ArcView files showing where the map tiles are, you can modify
this and use it for the tile index.

Hope this helps,

Scott Phillips
scott at phillipsgis.com