Transparency

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Jul 21 16:17:52 EDT 2000

Doug,

  Transparency for raster layers is defined with the
OFFSITE keyword.  The value is the color number
the image's palette.

e.g.
LAYER
  NAME ortho
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS DEFAULT
  DATA "83P_01s_10TM.tif"
  OFFSITE 2
END

means the third color (since there is a color index 0)
in the image's pallete for this layer is to be considered
transparent when reading the tif file and writing the
pixels into the target GIF (i.e tif pixels with color index 3
are not written into the GIF).

Funny thing is, this is from old mapserver 3.2
documentation (and email).  I couldn't find it in the 3.3
doc.

Hope this helps...

Brent Fraser

bfraser at geoanalytic.com