Dynamic point labeling

Paul G. Allen pgallen at randomlogic.com
Wed Jul 26 02:21:18 EDT 2000

My application plots points on a map from data retrieved from a DB2
database. No problem here, I can plot points 'til my heart's content.
How do I label these points from data retreived from the same
database? The mapfile layer definitions from my current mapfile for
the points and labels are below. Note that the "DATA field" entry in
the LAYER definitions is now meaningless as I am no longer using this
to define the points and labels. I am still using MapServer v. 3.3.001
(or whatever the first MapScript version was :)

PGA

#             FIELD UNITS (Dynamically plotted using Perl, MapScript,
and DB2)
LAYER
  NAME field_units
  TYPE POINT
  STATUS ON
  DATA field	# Depricated for this application
  TOLERANCE 4

  CLASS
    COLOR 255 0 0
    SYMBOL 6
    NAME "Field Units"
    SIZE 4
    MAXSIZE 7
  END

 QUERY
    TEMPLATE units.html
 END
END # Layer

#                      FIELD UNIT IDENTIFICATION
LAYER
  NAME unit_names
  TYPE ANNOTATION
  STATUS OFF
  DATA field	# Depricated for this application
  TOLERANCE 2

  LABELITEM "id"	# Depricated for this application

  CLASS
    SIZE 8
    COLOR 3 0 128
    SYMBOL 0
    LABEL
      BACKGROUNDCOLOR -1 -1 -1
      COLOR 255 0 0
      TYPE BITMAP
      SIZE TINY
      POSITION UC
      WRAP " "
    END # Label
  END # Class
END # Layer

LAYER
  NAME unit_names
  TYPE ANNOTATION
  STATUS OFF
  DATA field	# Depricated for this application
  TOLERANCE 2

  LABELITEM "msg_time"	# Depricated for this application

  CLASS
    SIZE 8
    COLOR 3 0 128
    SYMBOL 0