Proposed change to symbols.

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jul 27 10:29:13 EDT 2000

You can already do it. Symbol files support the a fontset just like the
main map file. You then can have TRUETYPE symbol types and use
a parameter named CHARACTER to represent the symbol (i.e. Z = something
in the .ttf file). You can always use annotation layers with symbolic .ttf files
(and a constant blank TEXT value - TEXT " ") as well.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Doyon, Jean-Francois" <Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca> 07/27/00 09:15AM >>>
Someone in my office had mentionned a neat feature he's seen on other
mapservers : Using TrueType Fonts for symbology ...

So basically a symbol could simply be a TrueType font character ...

Anybody thought of this before ? Is that a good idea ? Just thought I'd
throw it out there ...

Jean-Francois Doyon
Internet Service Development and Systems Support
GeoAccess Division
Natural Resources Canada
(613) 992-4902