Proposed change to symbols.

Mel VanderWal vanderwalm at peligroso.gaiaenv.com
Thu Jul 27 13:16:02 EDT 2000

One thing that would be a nice feature is to be able to "stack" symbols
in a single
layer.  For example, most of the decent-looking ArcView point symbols
are actually two or
more .ttf symbols placed directly on top of each other.  Another
example:  dashed thin
yellow line on top of thicker black line = highway symbol.

For what it's worth, I'm all for moving the symbols into the map file.

Stephen Lime wrote:

> You can already do it. Symbol files support the a fontset just like
the
> main map file. You then can have TRUETYPE symbol types and use
> a parameter named CHARACTER to represent the symbol (i.e. Z =
something
> in the .ttf file). You can always use annotation layers with symbolic
.ttf files
> (and a constant blank TEXT value - TEXT " ") as well.
>
> Steve
>
> Stephen Lime
> Internet Applications Analyst
>
> Minnesota DNR
> 500 Lafayette Road
> St. Paul, MN 55155
> 651-297-2937

> Someone in my office had mentionned a neat feature he's seen on other
> mapservers : Using TrueType Fonts for symbology ...
>
> So basically a symbol could simply be a TrueType font character ...
>
> Anybody thought of this before ? Is that a good idea ? Just thought
I'd

--
Mel VanderWal
GIS Programmer / Manager