defining projections

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at home.com
Wed Nov 1 09:52:20 EST 2000

Ben Lewis wrote:
> I've been able to set up a site pointing at other data in the UTM
> projection, but am having trouble getting data in Polyconic space to
> display.  There is no error message, just does not show up. What is the
> syntax for referring to data in:
>
> Polyconic projection
> elipsoid GRS80
> Long of origin -77:45:00
> Lat of origin  40:55:30
> Units meters
> Extent is minx, miny, maxx, maxy?
>
> Also if I go with geographic how to I specify extent?  Does PROJ4 handle
> degrees?
>
> Am I in effect asking about PROJ4 commands here?  Would this kind of
> information be in the PROJ4 documentation?

Ben,

You can find the PROJ.4 documentation at http://www.remotesensing.org/proj
and the detailed explanation of arguments is in the PDF document:

  ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/proj/OF90-284.pdf

For faster navigation, you can find PROJ.4 arguments for most common
projections online at:

  http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/

You can provide lat/long values in DMS form like:

  121d29'15.967"W 0d0'6.495"N

or you can express in signed decimal degrees like:

  -121.48776 0.00180417

I don't actually use MapServer, so I can't give exact details on how to
transcribe this into MapServer syntax, but the changes are as I understand
minimal.

Best regards,