Mapserver <=> ArcIMS comparison

Michael Anderson m_anderson14 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 1 12:54:22 EST 2000

    I have been using both ArcIMS and MapServer for a few months. Before I
give my opinion on a comparison, I would like to point out that the scope of
what ArcIMS and MapServer attempt to do is different. ArcIMS has several
components designed to do things that MapServer alone doesn’t address. This
includes html and applet based viewers for the client as well as several
components on the server. The components on the server include the
application server, manager components, and the spatial servers. The spatial
server is what renders the images, handles spatial queries, extracts
features, etc. The manager components allow you to build “Map Services” (map
files), create web sites using the map services, and publish the sites.  The
application server allows you to distribute pieces of your application over
multiple machines and pool several machines to handle increased loads.  It
also allows you to use COM and Cold Fusion in your application as the
“connector” between the web server and application server. ArcIMS has two
additional components that start and stop processes and delete images on a
schedule.
	MapServer alone is only analogous to the spatial server, but the other
features can be added using other tools. Other than being able to use fewer
data formats, MapServer is a better spatial server than ArcIMS’s. By using
an existing web application server you can get the additional functionality
with a minimal amount of work. I am using Zope, which is Python based, as my
application server. It is also Open Source. It is a much better application
server than the ArcIMS component. In addition to allowing you to distribute
your application, and pool machines, it also handles user authentication,
and gives Unix like permissions to files, URLs, and operations. It also
handles publishing the sites easily. I haven’t gotten around to using it to
make the map files or the web site though. I use ArcView to make the map
files and have someone else make the web site. Zope does allow me to share
single html and JavaScript files across multiple web sites, which makes
maintenance a lot easier. It is also possible to use Zope as a connector to
ArcIMS so a single application could use both MapServer and ArcIMS (as well
as other GIS engines). I am also aware of a Java based application server
called Enhydra that is also Open Source. I have installed it, but haven’t
had much time to use it, so I can’t really say what it can do. There are
also commercial application servers available like IBM’s WebSphere. You
could probably do a lot with Cold Fusion as well.

That said, here is my 2 cents on the advantages and disadvantages of ArcIMS:

Advantages of ArcIMS
- distribute applications over multiple machines
- Native integration with the Geography Network. MapServer can be made to
work within the geography network.
- Includes software to handle routine tasks like making the map services
(map files), designing web sites, etc.
- Supports more data formats – especially raster
- Better support for storing spatial data in RDBMS through SDE
- You don’t have to try to sell a relatively unknown product (MapServer) and
philosophy (Open Source)

Disadvantages of ArcIMS
- speed (even running mapserv as regular cgi it is much faster)
- resource hog
- limited OS (no Linux)
- less stable. My ArcIMS experience is on NT so that may be more a
reflection of the OS than ArcIMS.
- poorer support
- source code unavailable
- cost