MapServer productivity tools.

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Nov 1 22:23:59 EST 2000

I am working on an alternative to the ArcView method that uses MapScript and Perl/Tk. Again all it needs is some others to help out. Nice thing about this approach is the cross platform support (assuming mapscript can be compiled everywhere).

Steve

>>> RAldridge <RAldridge at linuxstart.com> 11/01/00 16:52 PM >>>
Steve,

I agree that productivity tools for MapServer would be nice.  The ArcView apps for producing .map files are a good idea.  However, many of us are developing MapServer apps on Linux and I feel it would be nice to have a tool that works in Linux.

That being said, it seems to me that we should be able to develop a .map file generator using ShapeLib with Python, PHP, C, or something.  You could use it to build a "view" using available shapefiles, images, and symbol files.  Once you have it looking like you want it, you could save the .map file.  The .map file would basically correspond to the .apr file in ArcView.  I would hope that the tool would allow you to open existing .map files, view them graphically, add/remove layers, change symbology, etc. and re-save the file.

I know all of this is easier said than done, but I can't see any technical obstacles to doing something like this.  It's simply a matter of getting the people with the appropriate skills interested in the project.

Perhaps, we should look at existing projects (OSSIM, ???) and see if they would be interested in providing for the functionality we need in their projects.  Frank Warmerdam (ShapeLib) told me sometime back that he was working on a "Shapefile Viewer/Editor" that would work on Linux.  Perhaps if his app can load/view images and shapefiles, he could simply add functionality to use MapServer symbol files and write out .map files.

Keep us posted.  I'd like to see something developed in this area.

Later,

Robert Aldridge