ESRI business partners

Michael Kleih michael.kleih at jrc.it
Wed Nov 15 13:28:03 EST 2000

Stephen Lime wrote:

> Michael: Very nice. Could you ellaborate on the role of MapServer in your project.
> Just curious... Thanks.

MapServer is involved in our SODA server, http://soda.jrc.it. It is
a 'community server' based on the GIST software (http://gist.jrc.it),
developed at our institute. What this software does, is creating an easy to
configure server, which allows user registration. Once you are
registered you have the possibility to upload your information/ data
on it to exchange it with other users. In the case of SODA what can
be uploaded are 4 types of information:

-ArcView Shapefiles (which then will be interfaced with MapServer)
-georeferenced images
-annoucement of a WMT-compatible layer, that was interfaced by the user
-folders. The geographic data is ordered hierarchically and every user
can create a node in this hierarchy, representing a thematic category.

Once the data is uploaded to SODA it will not only be WMT compatible,
but it will also appear in our client at http://opengis.jrc.it
To come to the part where MapServer is involved: Once you have
filled in the forms for uploading the ArcView Shapefiles
a MapFile is created and saved on disc. These files can also be
accessed through another system, opengis.jrc.it, on which there is
a PERL-script and which uses the MapServer extension to output
a GIF-image to the JAVA-applet. To see which data-layers are
available opengis.jrc.it communicates with SODA.
(Try it out registering on SODA and uploading some shapefile
if you want)

Michael

Michael Kleih
Centro Comune di Ricerca-JRC