New mapping application

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Nov 28 16:17:09 EST 2000

My experience is that the MapServer tends to be IO bound, not memory bound. You can only force so many disk accesses at once... My guess is that with this type of application throwing more processors at the problem does little to boost performance.

I'm curious what, if any, data preprocessing was done to expedite rendering? (i.e. data thining, pre-projection, spatial indexes)

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> John Frank <jrf at segovia.mit.edu> 11/28/00 01:40PM >>>
JF-

Does mapserver use all the RAM?  "100 concurrent clients" means its
working on 100 maps simultaneously, right?  With 100 maps rendering at any
moment, I think that would be about 420MB.

Is your "Quad 400" a four-processor machine with 400MHz Athlons?  Or
something else with a smaller cache?

What is the bottleneck that increases the map delivery speed to 5-7
seconds?  Is it processor limited?

John