Fw: [mapserver-users] request example importing multiple tiff files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 25 13:42:51 EDT 2001

David,

I have pepared a "gdaltindex" executable for you for NT that should be
able to generate a MapServer compatible tile index file for a set of raster
files.

  ftp://gdal.velocet.ca/pub/outgoing/gdaltindex.zip

To run it you will also need to download the GDAL binaries for NT.

  ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal-1142-ntbin.zip

Once you have set your path as indicated by the instructions in that file
you should be able to run the gdaltindex.exe.  If it doesn't work let me
know.

You would so something like:

  gdaltindex.exe out.shp data/*.tif

To generate a tile index called out.shp with the default tileindex field
name of "location" for all the files in the list.  It will work for any
GDAL supported file format.  The program should have a helpful usage message.

I had intended to contribute this program directly into the MapServer
distribution, but I find that I am not "handy" with the optimized shapefile
API in mapserver, so I wrote directly to my normal shapelib api.  The
source for gdaltindex.exe has been checked into GDAL as gdal/apps/gdaltindex.c.
If someone needs to fine tune it they can modify and rebuild.

Hopefully once the next rev of MapServer rolls out, I can arrange to have
gdaltindex.exe distributed with any binary distributions that include
GDAL support.

Best regards,