[mapserver-users] PHP/Mapscript Install

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Apr 30 22:26:07 EDT 2001

Chad Nielsen wrote:

> We are trying to install PHP on our NT 4.0 server running IIS 4.0. It seems
> there are two different ways of setting up PHP with IIS 4.0; ISAPI or CGI.
> Does it matter which we choose? Will this have any effect on our
> installation of the PHP/Mapscript module?

On NT, you must configure your PHP as a CGI.  The ISAPI version of PHP
requires that the modules be thread-safe, and since the core of
MapServer, and some of the libs that it uses are not thread-safe, then
the PHP MapScript module cannot be made thread-safe without quite a bit
of effort.
(On Unix it's a different story with fork() and it is safe to have PHP
MapScript with PHP installed as an Apache module.)

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca