[mapserver-users] Compilation/ESRI SHapeLIB

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 7 13:14:56 EDT 2001

Richard Ford wrote:

> What do you mean by bastardised??
>
> Is it limited or does it just suffice for basic reading and writing?

Richard,

Steve has optimized the shapelib code, partly by having it directly
transform the incoming data into the internal format for MapServer instead
of going through the intermediate format used by shapelib.  It should read
pretty much anything that the regular shapelib reads, but won't include some
of the latest shapelib tweaks.

> As Stephen pointed out there is shape file support built in.  Will I still
> need PROJ.  What else is PROJ used for and should I really consider it a
> mandatory library?

If you have all your data into one coordinate system ... the coordinate system
you want to serve data in, then you don't need PROJ.4 libraries for MapServer.

Best regards,