[mapserver-users] what 'bout mapserver's future

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Aug 10 15:00:51 EDT 2001

There are 2 parties I've been in contact with that are pursuing this, and yes
they've been introduced to each other but I don't know the extent of any
discussions. They can chime in at anytime. Having not seen the Oracle
C API I don't know which (OGR/PostGIS or SDE) it more closely resembles
but I'm sure one of those can act as a model.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

Michael Scharber wrote:

>I couldn't agree more with both of you.  I've only just started playing
>with MapServer and already I am thoroughly impressed by both it's ease of
>use and rich functionality.
>
>One thing someone should write though, is an Oracle Spatial CONNECTIONTYPE
>(and support for it of course).  That way someone with Oracle Spatial, but
>no SDE (could you imagine paying for and maintaining both), could just
>plug in their layers from "Spatial" and be up and running with MapServer
>in no time whatsoever.

Michael,

Who has Oracle Spatial and would be willing to work on such a thing?  I
happen to have recently received it (for NT) but haven't installed it yet.

I imagine the PostGIS link could be fairly easily translated into an
Oracle link if needed.

Best regards,