[mapserver-users] PDF output again

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Aug 17 11:47:13 EDT 2001

I have thought about PDF-on-the-fly in the past, and there are a couple
of pretty major issues with "going vector":

- There will be times, fairly often, where the shear quantity of vector
data for a given map extent will make the file very, very large. So in
addition to just plan old rendering code, there probable need to be
line-thinning routines in an vector-file renderer, otherwise file-sizes
could be enormous.
- The file size of a raster-based PDF, where you just ask Mapserver for
an appropriately sized image with enough resolution to satisfy your
printer and insert it into the PDF, is not all that big with
compression. It is going to actually be difficult to tune a vector-file
renderer to beat the raster renderer on file-size. This is especially
try as you add layers, and of course if you have a raster layer like a
ortho, all bets are off: you might just as well have the full raster
solution.

In your mind, what is the benefit of "going vector" for rendering?