[mapserver-users] SVG

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Aug 20 10:52:42 EDT 2001

Actually MapServer is having GML output added as we speak. Initially this will be available
via the OpenGIS WMT interface but logically it could be added as query output as well. Since
you're talking raw data here it boils down to queries rather than full draws. I believe there are tools
to move from GML to SVG but haven't played in that area at all.

This GML addition is really the last addition before the official 3.5 release, so soon...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

I find a Perl SVG library at http://cs.nott.ac.uk/~jxm/SVG/iexplore.html, maybe useful for this thread.

On 2001-8-16 18:34:00, you wrote:
>David Moffett wrote:
>>
>> I am thinking about adding SVG ( Scalar Vector Graphics ) to mapserver.
>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1. Is someone already doing this?  There was some talk on the mailing in
>> Oct 2000 but I  did not see a conclusion.
>> 2. Is it a good idea?  I think it is since we would like to use it
>> ourselves.
>> 3. What approach would be best.  I have looked at the code and have some
>> ideas but I am a far cry from an expert on mapserver.
>>

>I'm not aware of anything that has been started on this front yet, but
>we've had lots of interest expressed to have MapServer produce vector
>output (SVG being only one possibility).  So if any of these projects
>takes off then it's the kind of additions that we might get involved in.
>
>Anyway, I think your idea is a good one, but I think it should be done
>"the right way" in order for your work to be profitable in the long
>run.  A bit like the kind of changes Steve did when SDE and OGR were
>added, and which allowed the PostGIS guys to plug their driver with much
>less efforts.
>
>Basically that would mean redesigning important parts of the rendering
>code in MapServer (and likely some of the mapfile stuff too) to make it
>less GD-centric and be able to deal with various types of output.  If
>this is done well for the SVG case then other output formats such as
>GML, Flash, etc. can be added with much less efforts.
>
>My 0.02$
>--
> Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca
> DM Solutions Group              http://www.dmsolutions.ca/
>  Don't put for tomorrow what you can do today, because if
>      you enjoy it today you can do it again tomorrow.

ZiZhuYuan BaishengCun No.1
NGCC
Post Code, 100044
Beijing, China