[mapserver-users] mapserver & windoze NT 4 vs. 2000 question

Pericles S. Nacionales pnaciona at gis.umn.edu
Thu Aug 30 21:00:37 EDT 2001

Tanya,

Regardless of whether you use IIS or Apache, you should get Windows
2000.  I've never had any problems running MapServer on Win 2000, using
both IIS and Apache.  My reason for recommending Win2000 is
simple:  you'll still get updates from Microsoft for it.  WinNT may not
get further support once Windows XP shows up.

As for problems with Win2000 and MapServer, I haven't encountered any
yet.  Most of the win32 questions brought before the mapserver users
community pertain to misconfiguration--either during compilation (with the
makefile) or with the map file.  The win32 binary packages you download
from the MapServer web site are being compiled in Windows 2000 and work
just fine on the other Windows OSes.

Now for IIS and Apache...  since you can install both on your machine
without paying extra, I suggest running MapServer on one and then the
other.  Make some comparisons and let the community know how it went.  I'm
always curious about the benchmarks.  My guess is unless you really use it
for some custom applications (e.g., integration with ASP) you really won't
find much of a difference.  You can prove me wrong. :)

Good luck!
Perry Nacionales