[mapserver-users] mapserver & windoze NT 4 vs. 2000 question

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Thu Aug 30 21:36:30 EDT 2001

Just a quick response (based on very limited Mapserver specific
experience) -- there is no inherent advantage in a server as opposed to
a workstation (other than paying M$ more dollars). Apache works
flawlessly on workstation, while IIS requires the use of server. In my
opinion (empirical evidence), the workstation is faster because it is
installed with barebones services -- nothing not essential to web
serving is on it.

I would recommend Win2k over WinNT... seems more stable... save money on
os license by getting a workstation instead of the server, use the saved
money to give it gobs of ram, and/or get a dual cpu machine if you can...

pk/

--
Puneet Kishor
pkishor at eidesis.org