[mapserver-users] Meeting

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Jul 25 09:30:49 EDT 2001

Well, I suppose this is a true to a certain extent, although I never had
quite that much trouble with it :)

I suppose this is not necessarily symptomatic of MapServer itself, so much
as the nature of OpenSource software.  Working with OSS is definitely
different, and if you're not used to it, it can seem like a pain.  It often
requires more work as far as researching, reading docs, trial and error,
compiling and re-compiiling and so on.  but there are two very big
advantages to this: A steep learning curve helps learning.  Don't worry, byt
the time you're on your third MapServer project, things will neem like
second nature. Also, as with most software, usability and simplicity have to
be balanced with being featureful.  the more features you want, the more
complicated to use.  I'd rather a complicated software that does everything
I need it to properly, than something that looks good but works like crap
*cough*windows*cough*.

As for the documentation, you landed in a transition period! The MDP is
working hard to get decent documentation out there! I've contributed c ouple
of documents myself, and intend on doing more.  Although I suppose I am
partial to them, I'd have to say that they ARE a LOT better than the old
series of docs. I *think* I had volunteered to do the MapScript, I'll have
to check :) I would recommend everybody look at the MDP page (Linked from
the current docs page) for more info and if you're interested to
contribute.  I think it's important nobody duplicate efforts.

As for examples, well, how about some sort of on-line database of resources
like that? A place where users themselves could submit snippets of code and
mapfiles, could include a description of what it does and so on, maybe even
data where legal. Kind of a knowledge-base I guess. then people who did cool
new and unsual things with mapserver could share their experience with all
of us :)

My .02$ !
J.F.