Lurker strikes! Example sites?

Frank Koormann frank.koormann at intevation.de
Thu Mar 1 03:12:12 EST 2001

Hi Rod,

* Roderick A. Anderson (raanders at tincan.org) [010301 06:29]:
> The project is to provide online maps (go figure) of public internet
> access locations for Spokane County, Washington, USA.  We'll add mass
> transit (bus stops) information so those needing access can get their
> without owning a motor vehicle.
>
> If I understand correctly how MapServer works I can use ArcInfo shape
> files for the base map; streets etc.  Then I need other shape files to be
> used as layers (or can they be in the main file) to hold the access
> locations and bus stops.

The shape format concept is to have one shape for each layer (a shape
consists of more than one file 8). So you would need a shape for
- streets (lines)
- bus stops (points)
- locations (points)
and probably some more to have "nicer" representation of the maps.
Also a georeferenced image might be used for the background.

>    I'm also a little fuzzy on whether I have to have the same area - the
> county - in many different files of if MapServer can use one file and zoom
> in to portions of it.

With shapes it is possible to have one shape file and display it at
different zoom levels. For georeferenced images different files at
different scales are useful.

> E.g. a map of the United States and zoom to a state
> (perhaps showing the location of the state capital) or 49 files one of the
> US and one for each of the states.

That would imply one shape with the state polygons and one with the
capitals. You could at e.g. a shape with all highways or cities with
population > 500 000 or so to be display when zooming in.

> Enough rambling.  If this makes sense and/or anyone has the time to reply
> it will be appreciated.

Done. :)

Regards,

    Frank