Undefined symbol when compiling mapscript for Perl

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Mar 5 10:30:13 EST 2001

Many linux boxes come with GD-1.3 installed by default. I know this is the case on RedHat
since that's what I develop with at home. I suspect that there are conflicting libraries are
you're system. One fix is to move any GD libs in /usr/local/lib or /usr/lib to someplace else
(temporarily). Re-run configure and build the mapserver and mapscript. Then replace the
moved libs. That should work and fix things.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Don Silvia <don at dlsilvia.ne.mediaone.net> 03/04/01 09:09AM >>>
Hi,

I'm having a problem compiling mapscript for Perl.  I'm seeing the same
problem as described by Chris Fuhrman in a previous post:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/majordom_lists/archives/mapserver-users/html/0003/msg00012.html

I've tried this with both versions 3.4 and 3.3.011.  I can compile the
mapserv CGI and it works fine.  I compile mapscript for Perl with no
errors, but when I try to run one of the example programs, I get an error
about undefined symbol: gdImageCreateFromGif:

[don at ratbert progdev]$ dump.pl -file=doq_idx
Can't load
'/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/auto/mapscript/mapscript.so'
for module mapscript:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/auto/mapscript/mapscript.so:
undefined symbol: gdImageCreateFromGif at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i586-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 200.

Like Chris, I'm using the GD 1.2 version that comes with mapserver.  Unlike
him, however, I don't have any NFS mounts involved.  I'm building this on
Red Hat 6.2.

I notice that the Makefile has '-DUSE_GD_1_3' in it, and when compiling the
mapserv CGI, I get a warning: mapraster.c:548: warning: implicit
declaration of function `gdImageCreateFromGif'.  But as I said, the CGI
works fine.

Thanks,

Don Silvia