basic problem

Frank Koormann frank.koormann at intevation.de
Tue Mar 20 03:08:48 EST 2001

Hi Andy, Listers,

* Andy Bernat (abernatj at yahoo.com) [010320 04:36]:
> Greetings all,
> I'm sure I'm doing something pretty basic wrong but I can't see what it
> is.  I've gottent the demo maps to display but I can't seem to get any
> other shape files to display.  One of the maps I tried to display is
> Minnesota census tracts from the ESRI CD that comes with Arcview.  The
> .map file I used was the one from the demo with almost everything but
> the map taken out.  It works with the county shape file that comes with
> the demo but when change the DATA and the Name to reflect the census
> tract shape file, the map is blank (frame, titles, everything else is
> there). The error log indicates that Mapserver thinks everything is
> fine: no errors.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that mapserver requires that the shape
> file be in a certain projection but then the documentation doesn't say
> anything about that so maybe that's not it.

Not the projection but some information related are sometimes the
pitfall: First you should drop the MIN/MAXSCALE from the web interface
definition. Since you use the EXTENT settings of a different shape file
(although of the same region) and there seems to be no UNITS information
in your map file (eg. below the EXTENT: UNITS METERS) some stragnge
behavior may be the result. You should check the extend and unit of
your shape files and insert the right values.

Regards,

    Frank

--
Frank Koormann                              http://intevation.net/~frank/