[mapserver-users] open src gis vs. mapinfo (comparison)

Doug Nebert ddnebert at fgdc.gov
Fri May 4 10:47:17 EDT 2001

Gerald Thornberry wrote:

> > What about good street data that mapserver understands?
>
> After waiting a month and a half for GDT to contact me, I finally
> received pricing on their street data products for geocoding:
>
> $650.00 per US County (1 - 5 user license)
>
> $1300.00 per US County (6 - 15 user license)
>
> Annual maintenance and updates - 50% of original cost
>
> My guess is that they are in shapefile format, though they may have
> others.  MapServer does handle shapefiles.

With other tools (like ArcView) you might be able to live with
the latest TIGER files for the US that are less than two years
old. OK, so it doesn't have all the latest subdivisions, but it
is basically free for download and unlimited re-use with full
information sufficient to address geocoding. I know, I've used
it them ArcINFO before... It is now valid as of 2000!

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/rd_2ktiger/tgr2kweb.html

Doug.