[mapserver-users] Permissions on Microsoft IIS web server

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue May 22 12:58:31 EDT 2001

Brian -

You do not need to give EVERYONE access.  All IIS Web server requests
are run under an NT security context.  For anonymous access (i.e. public
Web sites) there's no way to differentiate users, so everyone shares the
same security account.  This is normally the IUSR_machinename account
(for example, on a server named FOO it would be the user account named
IUSR_FOO).  Everything done by IIS, including executing the MapServer
CGI executable, is done as if it were being done by the IUSR_machinename
user logged in and sitting at the console.

The only user account that requires read/execute access to the entire
MapServer site directories is the IUSR_machinename account.  You will
also want to leave full access for yourself and for administrators, of
course.  The "tmp" directory, where the images get written, is the only
directory that requires the IUSR_machinename account to have write
permission.

The whole intent of the IUSR_machinename account is that it is ONLY used
by anonymous Web users, and therefore is only given very tightly
controlled access.  It is a local machine account, not a domain account,
so it can't possibly have access to resources outside the machine the
Web server's on.  It is not a member of any of the default groups
(except EVERYONE) so it won't inadvertently be given access it shouldn't
have.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker