[mapserver-users] pre-projection

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu Nov 1 09:49:13 EST 2001

Brian -

As long as it doesn't interfere with the management of your data,
pre-projecting your source data into your output projection makes a lot
of sense.  However, if your goal is to make (perceptible) performance
improvements in your application, I'm not sure this will help much.  The
PROJ library support in MapServer is VERY fast in my experience, and
I've been quite surprised at how small the impact of reprojecting
point/line/polygon layers is.

Reprojection is just a bunch of in-memory math, which computers do
really quickly.  The really slow stuff is looking for and reading data
from disk, and if you're looking for performance improvements the first
thing I'd do is make sure my data is organized and indexed so each map
request has to touch the absolute minimum amount of data it doesn't
need.  If pre-projecting the data DOES make a noticeable difference,
that might be evidence that your data isn't well-structured to begin
with.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker