[mapserver-users] Symbol for Roads with Width

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Tue Nov 6 03:33:53 EST 2001

Paul Ramsey writes:

>I am trying to create a particular cartographic effect. The idea is one
>of a road line with both width and boundaries. Like a big filled snake,
>with darker borders.
>
>-----------------
>- - - - - - - - -
>-----------------
>
>I can make it wide, but I cannot make the middle a different color from
>the edges... I am using 3.5 CVS
>Any guidance?

Paul

My guess is that unless you want to deal with all of the issues
involved with 'joining fat lines' at various angles
you are better off keeping the line width an odd number of pixels
and drawing the roads twice

First pass with full linewidth in the edge color
Second pass with center width = ( fullwidth - 2*edgewidth) in the center
color

Note this really means that this is really only effective for roads that are
displayed with a width of 5 pixels or more

YMMV

Norman