[mapserver-users] Preparing tif images

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Nov 7 14:30:18 EST 2001

Tim -

If you have a 24-bit image and you load it into Photoshop, you can use
the Image/Mode/Indexed Color (be sure the "8 Bits per Channel" setting
is checked on the Image/Mode menu) to convert it to an 8-bit palette
image.  You have some options there about how to map the
more-than-256-color image's colors.

What sort of georeference information do you have?  If you have ESRI
World Files, that's fine.  Photoshop will not save all the GeoTIFF tags
if your image is a GeoTIFF image, so you'll need to save and reapply
them.

If you'd like to email me an image and georeference data I'd be happy to
take a look at it.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker