[mapserver-users] Mapserver vs. ArcIMS

Jim Palma jpalma at donahue.umassp.edu
Thu Nov 8 14:51:58 EST 2001

I have just found out that my university has a site license for ArcIMS.
This makes me wonder about the differences in capability between
Mapserver and ArcIMS.

One thing that jumps out at me is that I would have to run ArcIMS on a
Windows server, something I want to avoid due to all the security
problems that we have had with our Windows servers.  With Mapserver I
can use Linux, which we have used on our web servers and database server
with great reliability.

However, I would assume that (for a non-programmer like me) ArcIMS is
easier to use and has more capabilities. Is there anyone out there who
has experience with both systems and can comment?

Thanks, Jim