[mapserver-users] Projection EPSG code for LCC in mapserv 3.5

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Nov 21 17:55:27 EST 2001

> Trem Stamp wrote:
>
> Does anyone know if there is an EPSG code for LCC projection
> information?  I seem to remember looking last time and couldn't fine
> one so had to use the following type of syntax:
>
>   PROJECTION
>   "proj=lcc"
>   "ellps=aust_SA"
>   "lat_0=-32.5"
>   "lon_0=147.0"
>   "lat_1=-29.5"
>   "lat_2=-36.5"
>   END
>
> If there is no EPSG code for this currently, does anyone know if there
> is likely to be in the near future?

Trem,

We ran into the same issue for Canadian LCC projections... there wasn't
any in the official list of EPSG codes.  But you can edit the
/usr/local/share/proj/epsg file to add your own codes... that's what we
ended up doing... read on...

Cubewerx which is actively involved in all that WMS stuff had also run
into this issue and resolved it by defining its own extension to the
EPSG list for LCC and other projections useful to canadians.  They used
custom EPSG codes in the range 42100-42399.  We adopted the same codes
for our own WMS implementations and added (some of) them to our local
"epsg" file, so our clients and servers can exchange LCC projection with
other servers that also adopted Cubewerx's EPSG extension.

Question to Frank W: Do you think the 42100-42399 custom EPSG codes
could be added to the official "epsg" file distributed with PROJ4?

Now, I realize that this doesn't resolve your problem with Australian
projections not having an EPSG code... I think you should raise this
issue on the WMS-Dev list and see if a better solution to this problem
has been adopted.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca