[mapserver-users] WMS client / Community Map Builder project

Claude Philipona claude.philipona at camptocamp.com
Tue Oct 2 06:01:55 EDT 2001

We are currently working on such a project. We have different web community
around mountaineering sports in the Alps (Alpine mountaineering ski,
mountainerring, rock climbing, hiking)(until yet only in french, soon in german,
italian, english), where people can exchange their experience and keep the others
informed about conditions or itineraries. We will include a service where people
are able to interactivly create itineraries, georeference hut or summits to share
with the community. The system also includes support of GPS: one can upload and
download data to/from GPS. I think our specification will suit most needs for
outdoor and touristic activities

1) Visualizaion Module (100% finished)
After a few tests (wms mapserver, php-mapscript, we chose to use directly
php-mapscript of mapserver 3.5 instead of WMS, because the Mapserver
implementation of WMS has for now only limited features compared to php-mapscript
(no styles, not possible to change on the fly the parameter of the mapfiles,...)
so it is easier to use directly phpmapscript to meet our specifications. (however
we could relativly easily rewrite the module using wms). We have build the module
in such a way that many web sites can easily integrate map fucntion from one
single mapserver (the different map):

Navigator <----(http/html)----> websites1..n(php) <----(http/wddx)---->
mapserver(php-mapscript)

Like Gmap, we have a pure html version, and a version enhanced with rosa applet
features

2)Georef Module (add, modify, delete geo objects) (80% finished)
We have build a java applet (awt) which communicates via http/wddx with
mapserver(php-mapscript) (all the features available in the visualizazion module
are also available in the applet. With the applet we can add, modify, delete
simple geo objects of type point, (poly)lines, polygon. For now, we can edit only
one object at the time. We can manipulate the points either with the mouse or by
entering the coordinates and altitudes using entry boxes.
The geo object are then save with postgis. To have optimum performance with
visualization(more vizualizazion access compared to edti access), we generate the
shapefiles (faster with mapserver) from postgis.

3)GPS module
PHP class to upload/download waypoints/routes from/to a GPS. With proj4, supports
translation between many datum and projection.

We cannot give an url for demo yet, because we don't have rights yet to publish
the map. I will try to setup a demo site with free maps soon.

We are very interested with the mapbuilder project, and could join it if the
specification are compatible with our needs.

Claude Philipona