[mapserver-users] Re: ArcIMS and MapXtreme comparison

Flavio Hendry flavio at tydac.ch
Thu Oct 11 03:22:23 EDT 2001

Hi Matt

We experience that ArcIMS gets really slow with large Shape files (it's fine if you use SDE = $$$$).
MapServer, using "shapetree" is fast even with very large shape files, with ArcIMS / ArcGIS there is no such thing like shapetree as far as I know - ESRI seems not to have a decent indexing for Shape files - and they seem not to be interested as they want to get you on SDE ... If you have SDE, performance should be OK.

best regards
Flavio

On 10.10.01 at 09:17 Matt.Wilkie wrote:

>Hi Flavio,
>
>> + supports ESRI Shape (better then ESRI ...) and MapInfo TAB
>> and others
>
>Would you please elaborate on this point? I'm not being antagonistic,
>I just want some hard data to show around the office. :)
>

>-matt

>Matt Wilkie * Yukon Renewable Resources GIS
>http://renres.gov.yk.ca/pubs/rrgis/

******** 10 Years TYDAC Event - Program see www.tydac.ch ********
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  ATTENTION: New Address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
############      Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Kind Regards
############       Flavio Hendry- mailto:flavio at tydac.ch
############         TYDAC AG - http://www.tydac.ch
####    ####        Geographic Information Solutions
####    ####         Luternauweg 12 -- CH-3006 Bern
############   Tel +41 (0)31 368 0180 - Fax +41 (0)31 368 1860