[mapserver-users] Displaying very large shapefiles

Armin Burger armin.burger at territoriumonline.com
Wed Oct 17 16:08:48 EDT 2001

Puneet,

I tried shptree with parameters from 4 to 10, the effect was always the
same. The response was quite slow. The index file for a 600000 polygon file
with 180 MB I use has only 2 MB, so I think the index size for the huge file
is in a normal range.

I'm only wondering why an increase in file size and polygon number of about
4 times increases the processing time up to 50 times or more. The difference
between displaying a 600000 and 50000 polygon shapefile however (with
appropriate zoom level) is neglibile. I don't know if the indexing reaches
its limits when the amount of shapes is too high.

Thanks

Armin