[mapserver-users] Projection Problem

Frederik Ramm mapserver at mail.remote.org
Sat Sep 1 07:10:35 EDT 2001

Hi,

   I'm using Map Server v4.3 with PROJ support compiled in. I have a
few shape files with European cities, rivers, and borders, downloaded
from ESRI. I'm using the shp2img utility for testing.

The data is in lat/long format. When not using a specific projection
(i.e. no PROJECTION sections in my map file), I have to use
EXTENT 5 47 17 58
to get a decent view of Germany & surrounding countries. There's a
layer called "citynames", defined as follows (more or less
copied from the demo application), which displays the city names just
about right:

LAYER
  NAME citynames
  TYPE ANNOTATION
  DATA awscitie
  STATUS ON
  LABELITEM "city_name"
  CLASSITEM "city_name"
  LABELMAXSCALE 500000
  CLASS
    EXPRESSION /./
    COLOR -1 -1 -1
    LABEL
      COLOR 0 0 0
      SHADOWCOLOR 218 218 218
      SHADOWSIZE 2 2
      TYPE BITMAP
      SIZE MEDIUM
      POSITION CC
      PARTIALS FALSE
      BUFFER 2
    END
  END
END

After that success, I started using a projection. I inserted

PROJECTION
   geographic
END

with all my layers, and

PROJECTION
  "proj=tmerc"
  "ellps=WGS84"
  "lat_0=50"
END

in the MAP section and changed the extent to
EXTENT 380246.45 -321450.90 998622.55 1017529.68

Now the streams, coastlines, and borders get displayed fine in the new
projection, but the city labels do not show up any more.

If I single out the "citynames" layer for display, I get a map of
names only with the non-projection map file, and an empty image when I
try to use the projection.

Does anybody know why?

The sample images I generated, the map files I was using, and the
shapefiles are available here:

http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/msproj.tgz (roughly 1 MB).

Bye
Frederik