[mapserver-users] Re: FW: [Manifold] Map Server Docs

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Sat Sep 15 14:34:46 EDT 2001

Dimitri Rotow wrote:

> As much as I enjoy discussing the pros and cons of various servers, I must
> gently object to your selecting only a portion of my original posting to
> Manifold-L for cross posting elsewhere.  I apologize in advance to any
> readers of other lists or the cc: list who have no interest in this
> interchange... if so, please flame Daniel for cross posting and not me! :-)

Dimitri,

I quoted only portion of your message because I was responding to a
thread which was already started and in which your complete message had
already been forwarded:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/majordom_lists/archives/mapserver-users/html/0109/msg00117.html

So *all* the readers of my message knew what I was referring to and were
able to apreciate all your points before reading my reply.  I just
happened to CC: you since I thought that it was fair to give you a
chance to reply.

Even though you raise interesting points for which I would have
interesting arguments, I'm scared that this discussion would last
forever.  I'll end the discussion now because I don't have the time to
write 5 pages Emails everyday for the next few weeks.

I think there is a market for "one-click webmapping" (anyone has
patented this one yet? ;-) with Manifold and there is also a market for
an Open Source MapServer that developers can tweak in any possible way.
They address different needs just like Windows and Unix/Linux address
different needs.  You're not a Open Source/Unix/Linux fan (obviously)
and I'm not a Microsoft/Windows fan (also quite obvious!) but both are
(and will be) around for quite some time whether we like it or not... so
we might as well take advantage of both worlds instead of flaming each
other.

Take care,
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca