[mapserver-users] Re: FW: [Manifold] Map Server Docs

Shawn L Johnston sjohnston at satshot.com
Mon Sep 17 06:16:22 EDT 2001

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Dimitri Rotow wrote:

> My letter also included the following: "Microsoft ASP in itself is obviously
> a higher performance environment than CGI (although, of course, it has
> tradeoffs in other dimensions)."  Performance is just one factor to be
> considered when choosing a dynamic web page technology.

Of course the "performance penalty" is going to also depend largley on how
well the application is designed and coded, regardles of if its ran
through cgi or through something like ASP.

> Finally, ASP is a purely Microsoft technology and so is not available to
> people who (for whatever reasons) choose Linux.

Not true. See

	http://httpd.apache.org/related_projects.html#apacheasp

and of course there is always PHP and ColdFusion additionaly.

> I have no idea whether MapQuest uses CGI or Linux or what their business
> reasons were for doing so.

I believe part of their system is driven through Oracle.

> However, for a fully automated, commercial, shrink-wrapped package solution
> aimed at pure Microsoft environments there is an entirely different impetus.
> If you know you are going to be exclusively in a Microsoft environment it
> makes sense to leverage all the benefits of that environment.  In that case
> the package will use ASP for the obvious benefits it brings.

You may also spend more for hardware up front, as Windows Servers seem to
have this tendancy to use memory like my old International Truck burns
gas. Like you say you have too look at the balance.

Cheers,

Shawn