[mapserver-users] msworkbench

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Tue Sep 25 00:16:49 EDT 2001

This usually means one of two possilbe problems:
  - failure of one workbench program to start another.
  - wrong X server security is being used.

For the first problem, I'll assume you are using msedit.tcl, and trying to
use the 'Tools' menu function to start the explorer.  Does the msexplorer.tcl
program start up?  If not, then perhaps you have not installed the
package correctly.  See the 'README' file.

For the second problem, Tcl/Tk only allows communications between programs
when your X server is secured.  That is, you must not use 'xhost' style
security, and use 'xauth' instead.  Try running 'xhost' without
any arguments - you should see:
	access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
Run 'xhost -' to turn off xhost style security.  Read the man pages on
how 'xauth' works.

Alternatively, you can compile Tcl/Tk with a special Makefile flag that
doesn't check for a secured X server.  This is generally not a good idea
if you can possibly avoid it.

-tom

--
Tom Poindexter