[mapserver-users] Extents and units in map file (FWD)

teb teb at mallit.fr.umn.edu
Tue Sep 25 14:57:47 EDT 2001

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:38:05 -0700
From: "Webber, Tim MCF:EX" <Tim.Webber at gems1.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Extents and units in map file
To: "'mapserver-info at lists.gis.umn.edu'" <mapserver-info at lists.gis.umn.edu>

Hi.  I have been playing around with mapserver and have been fairly
successful getting some thematic maps of our proince (B.C.) up and working
(sort of).  The difficulty I am having (other than difficulties associated
with not really knowing what I am doing) is :

when I use the proper extents with units=meters in the mapfile the resulting
map is "zoomed in" and shows only a small area of my map.  When I change the
units to inches everthing appears as I would expect it should but the
scalebar is way out.    The other associated problem is that I cant get the
reference map I have created to indicate my position on the main map.  I
have included a portion of my mapfile just in case it helps clarify my
problems

Any advice would be much appreciated.

THanks.

#
# Start of map file
#
NAME DEMO
STATUS ON
SIZE 600 600
SYMBOLSET symbols/symbol.sym

#extent from mcf.axl in inform's development
EXTENT 253176.0 349007.0 1980563.0 1755550.0
#UNITS METERS
UNITS INCHES

# TJW - shapepath is relative to the map file. demo.map in this case
SHAPEPATH "data"
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

WEB
  HEADER demo_header.html
  TEMPLATE tpmap.html
  FOOTER demo_footer.html
  MINSCALE 1000
  MAXSCALE 1550000
  IMAGEPATH "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\tmp\"
  IMAGEURL "/tmp/"
  # LOG "demo.log"
END

QUERYMAP
  SIZE 200 200
  STATUS ON
  STYLE HILITE
  COLOR 255 0 0
END

#
# Start of reference map
#    the map in lower right hand corner
REFERENCE
  IMAGE bc.gif
  #IMAGE graphics/reference.gif
  #EXTENT 393234.393701263 5205405.16440722 495769.579718949
5307959.02579127
  EXTENT 273176 369022 1870563 1735549
  SIZE 150 150
  STATUS ON