[mapserver-users] Query Layer out of DB

Alexander Pucher pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
Wed Sep 26 08:00:21 EDT 2001

Hello,

I want to explain my question with a little example.

Let's presume, I have a map of Europe with all the european countries
included. In addition to that, I have statistical data about the various
countries - like population, area etc. - stored in a database system -
say MySQL. I make a SQL query, showing me the 3 countries with the
highest poulation figures (e.g. Germany, France, UK). The system gives
me a button saying "Show in Mapserver". What I want to see is the map of
Europe with the three countries hilited.

I'm quite sure that this has to be done with a newLayerObj, that is
simply put onto the "standard" layers. Can anybody give me some more
detailed information about this. Any suggestions, code snippets, links
or previously posted messages to mapserver-users-group would be great.

mfg
ALEX

Institut fuer Geographie und Regionalforschung
Universität Wien
Kartografie und Geoinformation

Departement of Geography and Regional Research
University of Vienna
Cartographie and GIS

Universitaetstr. 7, A-1010 Wien, AUSTRIA

Tel: (+43 1) 4277 48644
Fax: (+43 1) 4277 48649
E-mail: pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at

FTP: ftp://ftp.gis.univie.ac.at
WWW: http://www.gis.univie.ac.at/karto

"The toughest fight, was with my wife." -- Muhammad Ali