[mapserver-users] How to create [n]mile radius polygon(circle)

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Sep 28 10:58:10 EDT 2001

Some of the other methods mentioned are useful for pre-3.5 versions. In 3.5 however
there is a new parameter called SIZEUNITS for CLASS objects and you can use it
to draw symbols of a fixed size regardless of map scale. In theory this snippet:

  CLASS
    COLOR 255 0 0
    OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
    SYMBOL 'circle'
    SIZE 1
    UNITS MILES
  END

would get you a red circle (assuming you've got a circle symbol) with a black outline 1
mile in diameter. I know this is not optimal and we should really support a CIRCLE layer
type- in time. Perhaps you could add that to bugzilla as a feature request...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Arthur, John" <John.Arthur at voicestream.com> 09/27/01 03:58PM >>>
How can i create a [n]mile radius circle either with a polygon or symbol.

I have managed to create a crude oval octigon based on 12 lat/long points
but I cant seem to get a smooth circle or the correct mile radius.

John Arthur