[mapserver-users] MrSid

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Sat Apr 6 20:48:01 EST 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 01:26:14PM -0600, John Hagstrand wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a MrSid file I want to display as a layer in MapServer.  Does anyone
> have an interface to do that?

I'm new to Mapserver and don't know whether there is a Mapserver
interface or not--it would be very cool if there is.  In the mean
time...

The MrSid Viewer is available for free download from the LizardTech
website (http://www.lizardtech.com).  The Windows version has the
ability to export the whole MrSID file or a portion of it as GeoTIFF
or, I think, TIFF with world files.  If you use Linux (as I do) I
suggest downloading the Windows version and running it under Wine.  At
least that worked well for me.  The Unix version of the MrSID viewer
doesn't have as many features and you can only save the currently
viewed region. :-(

BTW, there seem to be several different flavors of the viewer for the
Windows platform.  The one you want is the Standalone Viewer and the
download is 6+ Mb.

Hope this helps,
Ben

--